Saturday, January 31, 2009

I am. . . . .

I know my blog is dedicated to my wedding and preparation, but I have to include a little bit of my 'other' life in here as well.

Last week at school we were learning about poetry. We discussed what we knew and what we would like to know about poetry. I introduced them to some well known poets and gave them plenty of examples of the various forms of poetry. One day we created our own 'I am' poems. They turned out really cute. I ended up typing the poems up so they were 'hallway ready' and the kids decorated borders around them to frame them. Well I made one up of my own to provide as an example:

I am a teacher.
I wonder who invented Hershey kisses. (we talk about chocolate a lot)
I hear children's minds churching with the sound of learning.
I see twenty ducks all in a row.
I want my students to know how much I care.
I am a teacher.

Once I shared this with them, one of my students raises her hand and says,
"Ms. Wilson. Twenty ducks in a row...that's like us!! We walk in rows!"
"That's right. I have twenty students and the poem talks about twenty ducks all in a row."
Another student raises his hand and proceeds to make this comment about the tallest student in my class, "Yeah and you are the momma duck and 'Jake' is the biggest duck!!"
It was the funniest thing ever. I immediately started laughing along with all of my students and told him he was right, but 'Jake' would be the tallest duck. Then all of my students started giving themselves their own 'duck identity'.

No comments:

Post a Comment